Thursday, January 31, 2008

Spending Your Money Part 2

In yesterday's post, I encouraged you to spend some money on a book that I hold in high regard. (If you are still on the fence on that, just do it. Buy the book and read it. I promise you that you will see the Cross in ways you never have before.) Today, I will once again tell you how to part with more of your hard earned cash.

Starting February 1, tomorrow, until February 29, Sovereign Grace Ministries will be selling all of their music cd's for $6 plus free shipping. If you would prefer, you can download the cd for the same $6 price. The $6 price on the cd's is only good for as long as the cd's last so do get in early if you are planning to go that route. Click here to check out the selection. I have a few of the albums and have downloaded some of the individual songs and all I can say is that they are great. If you click on the albums, you can hear a preview of all the songs and see the lyrics.

Now, if you only have $6 to spend and don't know which way to go with it, I recommend Valley of Vision. Of the albums I have, it is my favorite. The songs are based on Puritan prayers from the Puritan book "Valley of Vision" (Wow! what a coincidence). It helps that the album has one of my favorite songs on it, "O Great God". But the album also has a wide variety of other very good songs including, "Valley of Vision", "Only Jesus", "Let Thy Kingdom Come", plus others. You might be wondering, "What does music sound like when it is based on writings from a bunch of dead Puritans?" Good question. Listen to the samples and you will find out. The album is everything except dull.

If, you happen to be fortunate this week and have $12 to spare, then I would suggest that you also include the album, "Songs For the Cross-Centered Life". The album is filled with songs that focus ones thoughts on the suffering of the Savior. Again, I highly recommend this album. Great songs, nice variety, well produced album.

One last thing. If you buy an album and while listening to it find yourself saying, "I would love to have our church sing this song." You're in luck. You can download the piano and guitar sheet music to all of Sovereign Grace's music from their website. The guitar chords and lead sheets are free, and for the month of February, the piano scores are $1 per download. Some of the songs are also available in a down-loadable vocal background track form if you would like to have it sung as a special.

So, there you have it. Starting tomorrow, go buy some music. I don't think that you will regret it.

No comments: